St Michael's Church (Anglican)
Waimea West Road, Waimea West
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 1
Private/No Public Access
5th April 1984
Date of Effect
5th April 1984
Pt sec 124 Waimea West Dist. Blk V Waimea SD,RT 63/165,166
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. The following text is the original citation considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
Present day St Michael's replaced in 1866 an earlier small country church. It was designed by explorer and surveyor, Thomas Brunner, as a memorial to Captain F.H. Blundell. Its architectural impact comes from the sturdy buttresses and the bell tower to provide a simple wooden building with a strong but well proportioned form.
The interior has a small gallery and several fine adornments. Although the original roof shingles have been replaced by corrugated iron there has been little alteration to the form over the years.
The graves in the churchyard make an important contribution to the interest of St Michael's for they include the tomb of the Hon. Constantine Dillon, later Governor Grey's civil and military secretary, Captain Blundell and Bishop Mules as well as others of significant local importance.
St Michael's is the successor to the first church built in Nelson province and it is probably the first memorial church in New Zealand.
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.