St Andrew's Church (Anglican)
330 Paihia Road, Taumarere
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
25th November 1982
Date of Effect
25th November 1982
Far North District
Sec 28 Suburbs of Waiomio (RT NA47/164), North Auckland Land District
St Andrew’s Church is located at 330 Paihia Road, Taumarere. The church has a direct link with the Paihia mission station as it was the church at Paihia from 1874 to 1925 - when it was moved to its present location. The church is connected with many notable Maori and European including Rev. Matiu Taupaki, Renata Tangata, Rupene Paerata, Piripi Patiki, Hugh Carlton, Elizabeth Colenso, William Bedggood and the Williams whanau. The church has historical and spiritual significance due to its connection with the Paihia mission and the people associated with the beginning of Christianity in Northland and New Zealand.
The Church was originally situated at Paihia and was the fourth church to be built on the site of the Paihia mission station established by the Rev. Henry Williams. The first church was a raupo hut which was opened for worship in 1823, followed by a lath and plaster church 1828 and a wooden church in 1856. The fourth church (St Andrew’s) was built and opened in 1874.
The building is cruciform in shape, gable roofed and constructed of native timbers. Originally the roof was shingled but these have been replaced by iron. It is probable that flooring timber and other building material were salvaged from the third Paihia Church built in 1855 and was used in construction of this church.
In 1925 a new stone church was built at Paihia; this is the Williams Memorial Church of St Paul (Anglican) Category 1 (List number 3824). When the Williams Memorial Church of St Paul was built, the existing wooden church was dismantled and the sections were transported by barge up the Kawakawa River to Taumarere. The building was then sledged up the riverbank to its current position with the use of a bullock team. After being moved, the church was dedicated by Archbishop Averill in January 1926 as St Andrew’s Church.
There have been no major modifications to the building since it has moved to Taumarere and it is maintained to a good standard.
1873 - 1874
Construction of St Paul's (now St Andrew's) Church at Paihia
Dismantling and relocation to Taumarere
dedicated by Archbishop Averill as St Andrew’s Church
1st July 2015
Report Written By
Ross, 1967 (4)
R. M. Ross, 'Church (Anglican), Taumarere', unpublished ms., Auckland, 1967 (held by NZHPT, Auckland)
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.
A fully referenced upgrade report is available on request from the Northland Area Office of Heritage New Zealand