Albert Park Bandstand
Albert Park, 33-43 Princes Street, Auckland
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Able to Visit
26th November 1981
Date of Effect
26th November 1981
Extent of List Entry
Extent includes part of the land described as Sec 1 SO 374931 (Public Reserve, s4(7) Auckland Improvement Trust Act 1971; Historic Reserve, s16 (2A) Reserves Act 1977), North Auckland Land District, and the structure known as Albert Park Bandstand thereon. (Refer to the extent map tabled at the Heritage List/ Rārangi Kōrero Committee meeting on 11 February 2016).
Sec 1 SO 374931 (Public Reserve, s4(7) Auckland Improvement Trust Act 1971; Historic Reserve, s16 (2A) Reserves Act 1977), North Auckland Land District
Completed in early 1901, the Albert Park Bandstand is believed to be the oldest surviving band rotunda in the Auckland region. Located in Albert Park - central Auckland’s premier venue for promenades and other genteel recreation in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries - the ornate, timber structure directly reflects New Zealand’s ties with the British Empire, as well as the popularity of brass band entertainment in the early 1900s. In addition to being employed for open-air concerts, it formed a centrepiece for notable public gatherings such as those associated with the coronation and death of British monarchs, prime ministerial visits and other major civic events. In the late 1960s and 1970s, it became a focus for counter-cultural activity including as a venue for contemporary bands and protest action. Still used for public recreation and musical events, it remains an integral part of a landscape of high historical and cultural importance in Albert Park and the broader Symonds Street ridge.
Successive iwi groups, including Te Waiōhua and Ngāti Whātua, occupied the Waihorotiu area prior to European arrival. After Auckland was established as New Zealand’s capital in the 1840s, land on the Symonds Street ridge became the centre of New Zealand’s colonial administration, with much of the site of the current Albert Park lying within the country’s largest British military installation - the Albert Barracks. Following transfer of the capital to Wellington (1865) and removal of the fortification (early 1870s), the barracks site was repurposed as an élite residential area with Albert Park laid out over its western part (1881-2). The park grounds were beautified with trees and monuments that, among other functions, emphasised the colony’s connections with other parts of the British Empire. Early structures included a small bandstand, an architectural form popular in Britain for the performance of brass bands that contributed to the ‘reforming potential of parks’ by playing concerts of a culturally uplifting or wholesome nature. In 1899, this bandstand was replaced by a statue of Queen Victoria (List No. 633, Category 1 historic place), prompting moves to create a much grander, covered rotunda nearby.
The new bandstand was built in 1900-01. Consciously positioned with a direct sightline to Victoria’s statue and the park fountain, it appears to have been designed by - or under the supervision of - A.A. Wrigg, who oversaw several important projects as City Engineer. The ornate, octagonal structure incorporated a distinctive oriental-influenced roof with onion cupola and flagpole; cove-moulding of perforated zinc; and a gas chandelier enabling concerts to be held at night. It was surrounded by a flower bed and two concentric paths containing garden seats donated by prominent citizens and organisations. Erected in part of the park designated for public address, the structure was envisaged to be employed for gatherings ‘under suitable regulations’ at a time when street meetings were prohibited.
The rotunda’s first recorded use, in February 1901, was for a memorial service mourning the death of Queen Victoria, led by the city’s religious leaders and attended by thousands of citizens. Other gatherings included a service at the coronation of King Edward VII (1902); meetings linked with the temperance movement; and a large civic farewell to Mayor Arthur Myers in 1909. The bandstand also formed the centrepiece of a reception for Prime Minister Joseph Ward on his return from the First Imperial Conference in London (1909). In 1910, up to 8,000 people gathered to hear the Mayor L. J. Bagnall read the proclamation of George V as King from the rotunda.
The structure was regularly used by brass bands, early concerts attracting crowds of 3,000-6,000. In 1914, electric ceiling lights replaced the gas chandelier, improving visibility for musicians. Concerts were evidently suspended during fears of invasion in the Second World War (1939-45), when slit trenches for civilian shelter were dug around the bandstand in 1941-3. From the late 1960s, the rotunda became a focus for counter-cultural activities, including during the Liberation of Albert Park (1969), subsequent ‘Jumping Sundays’ and events featuring notable contemporary New Zealand bands such as Hello Sailor and Dragon in 1975. Major conservation of the bandstand was undertaken in 2003, facilitating its ongoing use for public recreation and special events in the park.
Alfred Wrigg -
Wrigg (1852 - 1927) was City Engineer at Auckland City Council from 1900 to 1906. He was born in Lancashire, England and came to New Zealand with his family in 1863. He worked as an apprentice to his engineer father, Henry Wrigg, in Auckland and Timaru and in several other locations before becoming assistant in the Engineer's Department of the Auckland City Council in 1885. He then worked as Assistant City Engineer until 1899, when he became City Engineer, a position he held until 1906. During his time as City Engineer, the Auckland Electric Trams were constructed and Queen Street was paved with Neuchatel asphalt. Mr W. E. Bush became City Engineer from 1906 and Wrigg remained as his assistant until his retirement in 1925.
Builder of the Albert PArk Bandstand, Auckland, 1900-1901
1900 - 1901
Site of Albert Barracks
1901 - 1902
Curtains; and additional gas lights around the rotunda
Conversion from gas to electric lighting
Concrete base and rock surround replacing timber floor and flower bed
Internal seating added
Conservation work including new perforated zinc cove-moulding, fish-scale roofing iron and four internal posts
Public NZAA Number
23rd June 2019
Report Written By
Martin Jones and Alexandra Foster
Auckland Star, 4 Feb 1901, p.2; 15 Feb 1901, p.4; 10 May 1910, p.6; 15 May 1925, p.7.
Auckland Council Archives, ‘Albert Park: bandstand, 16 October 1900’, 1900-1900, City Engineer's Plans, ACC 015 Record 1425-1 Record ID 469951.
Auckland Libraries Heritage Collections NZG-19010309-453-1; 35-R134; 7-A13134; AWNS-19100519-10-1.
New Zealand Herald
New Zealand Herald
New Zealand Herald, 22 Dec 1900, p.4; 7 Aug 1902, p.6; 25 Feb 1909, p.6; 1 Oct 1909, p.6
Cammick, Murray, ‘Albert Park: all ages venue of the century’, AudioCulture, 12 May 2014 URL: https://www.audioculture.co.nz/scenes/albert-park-all-ages-venue-of-the-century
Geometria, ‘Archaeological Documentation: Albert Park, Albert Barracks’, Auckland, June 2003.
Matthews and Matthews Architects Ltd, 2002
Matthews and Matthews Architects Ltd., ‘Albert Park Band Rotunda: Condition Report’, Auckland, June 2002.
Salmond Architects, 1997
Salmond Architects, Albert Park Conservation Plan’, Auckland, March 1997.
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.
A fully referenced upgrade report is available on request from the Central Region Office of Heritage New Zealand.