The Northern Wairoa was extensively populated by Māori over many centuries with kāinga focused in the fertile river valleys between the Kaipara and Hokianga Harbours and pā and lookout points on the surrounding ridges and promontories. It was a complex landscape where interconnected iwi and hapū of the broad tribal confederations of Ngāpuhi and Ngāti Whātua including Te Kuihi, Te Uri o Hau, Te Roroa and Te Parawhau held overlapping rights and interests. The region had abundant resources that Māori utilised from the ngahere (forests), alluvial plains, and awa (rivers). Awa also formed an important part of the local transport network, particularly the Wairoa River which provided navigable access between Kaipara Harbour and Kaihu (now known as Dargaville). During the nineteenth century many small milling settlements were established in the region as Māori and Pākehā engaged in the kauri timber trade and gum digging. These extractive industries formed the backbone of the local economy during this period. At Mangawhare, situated by the confluence of the Kaihu and Wairoa rivers, a small Māori and Pākehā community grew around kauri extraction as early as the 1830s and the Mangawhare block was purchased from Te Tirarau (Te Parawhau) and Paikea in 1839. With the conversion of former forestland into productive farms, the North Kaipara Dairy Company was formed in 1902. The company built its primary factory beside the river, towards the southern end of the Mangawhare block, and the settlement grew to service the rural community along with Dargaville on the northern side of the Kaihu River. In 1908 the settlements combined as Dargaville Borough – the regional centre of the Northern Wairoa.
Francis Augustine Jones (circa 1869-1941), a builder who had been living at the nearby mill town of Aratapu, moved with his family to Mangawhare in 1905 and took a contract to build several creameries for the new Dairy Company. Jones purchased a large land parcel at the corner of River Road and Kings Court Avenue and built himself a large single-storey corner bay villa with a large garden in 1905. The residence included elaborate faceted gable ends on each street frontage with a return verandah and rear lean-to. Jones went on to capitalise on his trade as a builder, joiner and contractor to build a further seven smaller villa residences along River Road which he subsequently rented to local workers – in effect building a neighbourhood. In 1907 he acquired the adjoining five sections north of his house where he built the first of these rental properties, 9-17 River Road, and in 1912 he further purchased two sections on the opposite side of Kings Court Road and built the last two houses, 25-27 River Road. These rental residences were square front, four-room villas, with rusticated weatherboard cladding and a rear lean-to. They had corrugated iron roofs, four-pane sash windows, and verandahs along the street frontages. Simple decorative fretwork and dentil details were repeated on each verandah. Other Mangawhare owner-occupiers also built houses during this period including Paul Beaver, a travelling dentist whose North Auckland circuit included Dargaville and Mangawhare. Beaver purchased the property immediately north of Jones’ land in 1907 and appears to have commissioned a house from Jones to the same or similar design as the rental houses in 1909. Beaver subsequently lived and worked from the residence, 7 River Road, reflecting the substantial population numbers of the new borough. This villa had a smaller central porch instead of a verandah, a choice which demonstrates the importance of natural light for dentistry work.
Jones also became a major public figure. From 1912, while completing the rental houses, Jones served on the Borough Council and became mayor in 1925. He joined the Kaipara Hospital Board and was the first Rotary club president in 1938. Jones lived at 23 River Road until his death but progressively sold many of the rentals from 1920. The houses all changed hands several times over the following century, with varying periods of owner-occupiers as well as renters. Reflecting the economic diversity of the Mangawhare suburb and the wider borough, there have been a wide range of owners of the villas, including a surveyor, engine driver, carpenter, labourer, council worker, power board employee, dairy factory worker, picture theatre proprietor, baker, and panel beater. The residences remain relatively well-preserved with largely intact street frontages and layouts along with additions including extensions and garages. River Road Historic Area remains the most intact collection of early-twentieth-century housing in Mangawhare and has a strong visual street presence.


List Entry Information
Status
Listed
List Entry Status
Historic Area
Access
Private/No Public Access
List Number
7002
Date Entered
6th September 1984
Date of Effect
6th September 1984
City/District Council
Kaipara District
Region
Northland Region
Extent of List Entry
Extent includes the land described as Pts Mangawhare Blk (RTs NA41D/321; NA766/33; NA766/35; NA861/36; NA776/117; NA766/82; NA766/81), Lot 1 DP 184825 (RT NA112A/897), and Lot 1 DP 66149 (RT NA22D/26), and part of the land described as Legal Road, North Auckland Land District, and the buildings known as 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 23, 25, and 27 River Road thereon.
Legal description
Pts Mangawhare Blk (RTs NA41D/321; NA766/33; NA766/35; NA861/36; NA776/117; NA766/82; NA766/81), Lot 1 DP 184825 (RT NA112A/897), Lot 1 DP 66149 (RT NA22D/26), and Legal Road, North Auckland Land District
Status
Listed
List Entry Status
Historic Area
Access
Private/No Public Access
List Number
7002
Date Entered
6th September 1984
Date of Effect
6th September 1984
City/District Council
Kaipara District
Region
Northland Region
Extent of List Entry
Extent includes the land described as Pts Mangawhare Blk (RTs NA41D/321; NA766/33; NA766/35; NA861/36; NA776/117; NA766/82; NA766/81), Lot 1 DP 184825 (RT NA112A/897), and Lot 1 DP 66149 (RT NA22D/26), and part of the land described as Legal Road, North Auckland Land District, and the buildings known as 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 23, 25, and 27 River Road thereon.
Legal description
Pts Mangawhare Blk (RTs NA41D/321; NA766/33; NA766/35; NA861/36; NA776/117; NA766/82; NA766/81), Lot 1 DP 184825 (RT NA112A/897), Lot 1 DP 66149 (RT NA22D/26), and Legal Road, North Auckland Land District
Construction Professional
Name
Francis Augustine Jones
Type
Builder
Biography
Construction Details
Start Year
1905
startYearCirca
Type
Original Construction
Description
Construction of 23 River Road
Start Year
1907
startYearCirca
Type
Original Construction
Description
Construction of 9, 11, 13, 15, and 17 River Road
Start Year
1909
Type
Original Construction
Description
Construction of 7 River Road
Start Year
1912
startYearCirca
Type
Original Construction
Description
Construction of 25 and 27 River Road
Start Year
1955
Type
Addition
Description
11 River Road – rear extension
Start Year
1957
Type
Additional building added to site
Description
9 River Road – garage addition
Start Year
1959
Type
Additional building added to site
Description
9 River Road – washhouse addition
Start Year
1961
Type
Additional building added to site
Description
11 River Road – garage addition
Start Year
1967
Type
Structural upgrade
Description
7 River Road – house reblocked
Start Year
1969
Type
Modification
Description
23 River Road – new toilet
Start Year
1970
Type
Additional building added to site
Description
7 River Road – garage relocated to property
Start Year
1970
Type
Addition
Description
9 River Road – porch addition; 25 River Road – new toilet and drainage; 27 River Road – addition of porch and toilet block
Start Year
1974
Type
Additional building added to site
Description
23 River Road – new car and boatshed addition
Start Year
1975
Type
Additional building added to site
Description
15 River Road – new carport
Start Year
1977
Type
Other
Description
Sanitary drainage system installed for 9-17 River Road
Start Year
1978
Type
Additional building added to site
Description
15 River Road – addition of garage and workshop
Start Year
1980
Type
Additional building added to site
Description
9 River Road – replaced 1957 garage
Start Year
1980
Type
Additional building added to site
Description
23 River Road – new garage built
Start Year
1982
Type
Additional building added to site
Description
13 River Road – new garage with concrete sewer built underneath
Start Year
1983
Type
Structural upgrade
Description
25 River Road – structural repairs
Start Year
1984
Type
Refurbishment/renovation
Description
25 River Road – addition of new garage; rear extension of verandah, kitchen and porch; new bathroom toilet and sink
Start Year
1989
Type
Structural upgrade
Description
11 River Road – house reblocked
Start Year
1990
Type
Structural upgrade
Description
17 River Road – house reblocked
Start Year
1990
Type
Additional building added to site
Description
25 River Road – addition of double garage and workshop
Start Year
1994
Type
Addition
Description
13 River Road – extension to 1982 garage
Start Year
1995
Finish Year
1996
Type
Additional building added to site
Description
13 River Road – new construction of manufacturing building and plastics warehouse at rear of property
Start Year
1997
Type
Modification
Description
11 River Road – woodfire installed
Start Year
2000
Type
Refurbishment/renovation
Description
13 River Road – new toilet and basin
Start Year
2007
Type
Modification
Description
15 River Road – install solid fuel heater
Type
Modification
Description
7 River Road – central porch removed
Period
Post-2013
Construction Professional
Name
Francis Augustine Jones
Type
Builder
Biography
Construction Details
Start Year
1905
startYearCirca
Type
Original Construction
Description
Construction of 23 River Road
Start Year
1907
startYearCirca
Type
Original Construction
Description
Construction of 9, 11, 13, 15, and 17 River Road
Start Year
1909
Type
Original Construction
Description
Construction of 7 River Road
Start Year
1912
startYearCirca
Type
Original Construction
Description
Construction of 25 and 27 River Road
Start Year
1955
Type
Addition
Description
11 River Road – rear extension
Start Year
1957
Type
Additional building added to site
Description
9 River Road – garage addition
Start Year
1959
Type
Additional building added to site
Description
9 River Road – washhouse addition
Start Year
1961
Type
Additional building added to site
Description
11 River Road – garage addition
Start Year
1967
Type
Structural upgrade
Description
7 River Road – house reblocked
Start Year
1969
Type
Modification
Description
23 River Road – new toilet
Start Year
1970
Type
Additional building added to site
Description
7 River Road – garage relocated to property
Start Year
1970
Type
Addition
Description
9 River Road – porch addition; 25 River Road – new toilet and drainage; 27 River Road – addition of porch and toilet block
Start Year
1974
Type
Additional building added to site
Description
23 River Road – new car and boatshed addition
Start Year
1975
Type
Additional building added to site
Description
15 River Road – new carport
Start Year
1977
Type
Other
Description
Sanitary drainage system installed for 9-17 River Road
Start Year
1978
Type
Additional building added to site
Description
15 River Road – addition of garage and workshop
Start Year
1980
Type
Additional building added to site
Description
9 River Road – replaced 1957 garage
Start Year
1980
Type
Additional building added to site
Description
23 River Road – new garage built
Start Year
1982
Type
Additional building added to site
Description
13 River Road – new garage with concrete sewer built underneath
Start Year
1983
Type
Structural upgrade
Description
25 River Road – structural repairs
Start Year
1984
Type
Refurbishment/renovation
Description
25 River Road – addition of new garage; rear extension of verandah, kitchen and porch; new bathroom toilet and sink
Start Year
1989
Type
Structural upgrade
Description
11 River Road – house reblocked
Start Year
1990
Type
Structural upgrade
Description
17 River Road – house reblocked
Start Year
1990
Type
Additional building added to site
Description
25 River Road – addition of double garage and workshop
Start Year
1994
Type
Addition
Description
13 River Road – extension to 1982 garage
Start Year
1995
Finish Year
1996
Type
Additional building added to site
Description
13 River Road – new construction of manufacturing building and plastics warehouse at rear of property
Start Year
1997
Type
Modification
Description
11 River Road – woodfire installed
Start Year
2000
Type
Refurbishment/renovation
Description
13 River Road – new toilet and basin
Start Year
2007
Type
Modification
Description
15 River Road – install solid fuel heater
Type
Modification
Description
7 River Road – central porch removed
Period
Post-2013
Historical and Associated Iwi / Hapū / Whānau
Completion Date
18th June 2026
Report Written By
Alexandra Foster
Information Sources
Auckland Star
Auckland Star
Bradley, 1982
E. K. Bradley, The Great Northern Wairoa, (4th edn.), Auckland, 1982
Other Information
A fully referenced copy of the Upgrade Report is available upon request from the Northern Regional Office of Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga. Disclaimer Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rārangi Kōrero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions. Archaeological sites are protected by the Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga Act 2014, regardless of whether they are entered on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rārangi Kōrero or not. Archaeological sites include ‘places associated with pre-1900 human activity, where there may be evidence relating to the history of New Zealand’. This List entry report should not be read as a statement on whether or not the archaeological provisions of the Act apply to the property(s) concerned. Please contact your local Heritage New Zealand office for archaeological advice.
Historical and Associated Iwi / Hapū / Whānau
Completion Date
18th June 2026
Report Written By
Alexandra Foster
Information Sources
Auckland Star
Auckland Star
Bradley, 1982
E. K. Bradley, The Great Northern Wairoa, (4th edn.), Auckland, 1982
Other Information
A fully referenced copy of the Upgrade Report is available upon request from the Northern Regional Office of Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga. Disclaimer Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rārangi Kōrero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions. Archaeological sites are protected by the Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga Act 2014, regardless of whether they are entered on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rārangi Kōrero or not. Archaeological sites include ‘places associated with pre-1900 human activity, where there may be evidence relating to the history of New Zealand’. This List entry report should not be read as a statement on whether or not the archaeological provisions of the Act apply to the property(s) concerned. Please contact your local Heritage New Zealand office for archaeological advice.
Current Usages
Uses: Accommodation
Specific Usage: House
Themes
Of Significance to Maori
Current Usages
Uses: Accommodation
Specific Usage: House
Themes
Of Significance to Maori
Location
Sign up to hear more
Get the latest heritage news, features and events delivered
straight to your inbox.

