Woodhaugh Hotel (Former)
29 And 29A Malvern Street And Woodhaugh Street, Woodhaugh, Dunedin
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
24th February 1994
Date of Effect
24th February 1994
Extent of List Entry
Extent includes the land described as Lot 3 DP 3173 (RT OT200/33), Otago Land District, and the building known as Woodhaugh Hotel (Former) thereon.
Lot 3 DP 3173 (RT OT200/33), Otago Land District
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1993. This report includes text from the original Proposal for Classification considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
Prominently situated in the centre of Woodhaugh Valley, Woodhaugh Hotel was built in 1882. Architecturally it is a comparatively restrained example of a Victorian building in an Italianate style. Decorative elements include moulded architraves, arched at ground floor level and corbelled at first floor level with moulded cornice between. Rusticated pilasters adorn the doorways and street facade corners. The building facade has been recently restored, its location gives it streetscape appeal and is highly regarded by local residents.
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1993. The following text is from the N.Z Historic Places Trust Building Record form included with the Proposal for Classification at the time of registration.
The Woodhaugh Hotel was licensed from 1883 to 1892. It has a prominent location on the corner of Malvern and Woodhaugh Streets in the centre of Woodhaugh Valley. The hotel is likely to have acted as a focus of community life in Woodhaugh Valley.
The renovations of the street facades (c1990-92) has generated local interest and support. The building has changed hands a number of times this century and was purchased by Adrian Walden, a student from Auckland, in 1989.
The Otago District Committee has suggested that it was one of the last stops on the bullock track which wound its way up the valley and over to Waitati.
Retrained Victorian Italianate
Bluestone foundations with triple brick, some quadruple brick exterior walls. Corrugated iron roof cladding. Double hung sash windows.
1990 - 1992
Renovation of façade
Brick, wood, corrugated iron
A copy of the original report is available from the NZHPT Southern region office
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.